Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cheers to Newcomb

This morning arguments began in Howard v. Tulane at the Louisiana Supreme Court. This is the suit, and probably the last attempt, at saving Newcomb College. You can read more at nola.com and newcomblives.com.

Since Tulane's announcement to disband the college in December of 2005, I have been up in arms about it. I am a Newcomb girl through and through. Newcomb afforded me many opportunities that would not have been available to me had I been in a general college for men and women, such as the likes of Newcomb-Tulane College. Being a women's college made Newcomb a part of a tight-knit exclusive network. While not all women in the recent past took advantage of this or even realized what Newcomb did for them, for those of us who did, it meant the world.

I understand the arguments to ditch Newcomb. I really do. But there is a part of Newcomb that cannot be saved with the simple creation of the Newcomb Institute. I can't help but feel that eliminating Newcomb after Katrina was the Tulane administration taking advantage during a sensitive time. And a part of me can't help but feel that it's a sexist issue.

No comments: