Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-election thoughts

Yesterday I was way too hungover from simultaneously celebrating a victory (Landrieu) and drinking away my sorrows (need I state the obvious?) on Tuesday night. As you might have noticed, our attempt at live blogging failed for the same reasons that I was hugging a toilet for the better part of Wednesday.

Congrats to Senator Mary Landrieu - you can buy your dairy in DC and eat it too! It was an extremely close race, but you did it. Here's to 6 more years of fighting for the Pelican State!

New Orleans now has a new DA. In the Cannizzaro-Capitelli showdown, THP endorsed Capitelli. However, New Orleans is lucky that it had in this race a win-win situation: two experienced and qualified candidates. I will not talk about this race again, except to just say this: Leon Cannizzaro doesn't appear to have much faith in all of the new voters that turned out to support Obama, as both of these signs were clearly planted by his people. I'm not saying he wouldn't have won without these low tactics, but they clearly helped.


[h/t to Brad for this one]

On a final and more positive note, I have this to say: although I voted for the McCain-Palin ticket and worry about Obama's policies in the long term, I think that you have to be pretty heartless to not feel moved by the amount of energy and excitement surrounding Obama's election. As for my sad Republican friends out there, I think our comeback in 2010 and especially 2012 will be in the manner of 1994's Contract with America. Until then, I can say that the results of this election make me proud to be an American, and I wish President-Elect Obama and the rest of our country the best for the next four years.

No comments: