Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The stuff of hookers

Gold sequin top


Last night, during ALTL's below-mentioned outing at which she was scolded for drinking on antibiotics, the Head Pelican Girls attended the Foo Fighters show at the House of Blues. For the evening's outing, I chose to wear a frayed denim skirt with a teal colored sequined tank similar to this one (click the picture to be linked to thisnext.com, my favorite new site!) This style of tank, which I also own in white and black, is what I wear with jeans or skirts when I don't know what else to wear. These tanks are my all-appropriate New Orleans going out fallback.

En route to the venue from our sweet parking spot at Orleans and Bourbon, we walked past a random strip club where two "ladies" were sitting out front on bar stools, stripper platforms, hot pants, and all appropriate stripper gear included. As we strolled by, minding our own business, one of the ladies calls out "Hey, I have that shirt!" The HP Girls spin around, startled, to find that the lady was referring to me, ALTR. Yes, the conservative one.

I knew it would be beyond rude to simply ignore the comment or to act as if I wanted nothing to do with a woman of such a profession. Recalling politeness tips in the manner of my grandmother who always knows what to say and when to say it, I quickly replied "Oh, don't you just love it?! I have it in black and white too!" The "lady" replies "Yeah, I have it in gold. I wear it all the time." Sounds like someone I know!

What is a single conservative female to do when a lady of the night claims to own/love your favorite shirt? I guess I'll just have to accept that I encountered a stripper with taste as good as mine. And maybe I'll go shopping this weekend.

No comments: